you're reading...
Barbershop, Beijing Beard Dye, Beijing Dye, Beijing Hair Dye, Box, Celebrity Sightings @ Seventy Sixes, Clipper Cuts, Economy, Entreprenuership, Flat Top, Gumby Haircut, Hair Care, Hair Cuts, High Top Fade, Local Business, Mohawk, Natural Hair, NBA, Newark, NJ, Seventy Sixes, Slope Hair Cut, Small Business, Sports Teams

Bye Bye to Bigen Hair Dye

Men do color their hair.

Mostly, men cover their gray strands, and others do it for other aesthetic reasons, but men use dye, and often ask me what is the best dye.

In the past, I have attempted to recommend dyes that have less toxic ingredients, and highly recommend henna dyes, but one of the dyes I have committed myself to not using anymore, or suggesting is Bigen Hair Color. Of course there are other dyes that I prefer not to use that are your typical store bought selections, but let me tell you about the case of Bigen Oriental Black #59.

Bigen enhanced beard

In the early 2000′s, while working in Atlanta, the Beijing hair dye phenomenon erupted onto the scene of African-American men’s hair coloring. Not only was the dye readily available at just about any hair supplies store, but it was cheap and easy to apply.

The dye was used to do a host of things that went beyond covering up grey areas.

Barbers were creating the appearance of a fuller head of hair on thinning clients. Also, we were sharpening hair and facial edges. As well, people were creating full beards and painting on hair.

The term that we used in this process is called “blackout”.

Bigen was supposed to augment hair and not create hair. Nevertheless, men who had been bald for years or were balding were excited to get a semblance of their hair back.

Bigen Disaster

However, as quickly as the trend caught on, the excitement of Bigen began to die/dye. Clients were coming back with rashes on their skin. Other barbers were reporting that people were breaking out, and losing hair, and developing eczema and allergic reactions they had never experienced in their lives.

I put dark brown Bigen in my wife’s locks about two years ago and several days later she developed this knot the size of a cherry right in the middle of her fore-heard. It lasted for about six weeks. She was not happy to have to wear a lot of head bands in the summer.

I have also learned that an Atlanta-based personal injury law firm, Marks Law Group, LLC, has filed a class-action lawsuit against Bigen for the physical ailments it has caused. The case is being represented by Atty. Aaron Marks, and he is looking for people who have been gravely affected by the product.

Of course Bigen, a Japanese-based company, claims to be a “natural” dye, but I’ve learned that most things that make those claims are natural lies.

Bigen claims to have no ammonia; however, they list ammonium hydroxide, an ammonia-based ingredient that serves to adjust the pH level of the product.

Here are a list of some of the other ingredients:

• Sodium Perborate: an oxidizing agent used in the detergent industry to bleach their product.
  • P-Aminophenol: a chemical used in developing Black and White photos and film.
  • Para-phenylenediamine (PPD): a toxic agent that has been banned in Germany, France and Sweden since the mid-1900s.

As well, the application of Bigen just got out of hand. The application got tacky. Men and women with short cuts were looking as if their Bigen painted domes were lacquered in a black chalky paint.

I have heard and seen so many breakouts from this dye that I have consciously moved away from using it.

I have restocked my shop with henna and natural dyes that are healthier for the client and the barbers/stylists.

About these ads

About seventysixes

Seventy Sixes is a premier barbershop, natural hair and hair systems salon located in the rapidly emerging downtown Newark. It caters to all hair textures and cuts both men and women. The name, Seventy Sixes, is from the classical clippers we use, known as "76s" plus the owner, Duane Reed was born in 1976. Our staff is a collection of talented barbers and stylists that provide a host of grooming services for men and women. We cater to all hair textures and offer quality services that fuse classical and contemporary barbering. Our shop is accessible to all major highways and is just off of the NJ Turnpike.

Discussion

66 thoughts on “Bye Bye to Bigen Hair Dye

1. This dye caused my hair to fall out!!! My hair looks horrible! I have paid a stylist to correct the damage! It’s costing me hundreds for these treatments!

Posted by Annette Murphy | June 15, 2014, 5:33 pm
  2. Hi cc my name is stacy I also use bigen hair dye and I could say this 100 times I regret using this problem my face is swollen I been to the emergency room twice I could barley my damn face look like my boy beat the breaks of me and yes I contacted a law because this is not right never in my life I look like this took pics and save them but I thank god am still alive if anybody else had the same problem please email me at akemesmith@gmail.com

Posted by tracey smith | May 13, 2014, 8:14 am
  3. Forgot to mention that since using this product that I have large dry patches on my scalp. I didn’t use it long, but the changes in thickness of my hair and scalp are obvious. Run don’t walk past this product or you too may find yourself leaving a post.

Posted by CC | January 8, 2014, 7:18 am
  4. I have naturally wavey/curly hair that is chemical free. Since I am graying, especially around the hairline, I decided to try this product at the suggestion of a local hair stylist in September 2013. I chose the burgundy brown color and initially was quite pleased with the coverage. However I noticed that my hair began to thin so much so that around the hairline I look as though I’m going bald. I don’t know what’s in this product that contributes to the coverage it produces but lost of hair should not be the end result. I’m now using the Clairol Beautiful Brown semi-permanent color and vow to never use this product again. I hope it’s not too late to reverse the damage and sincerely hope that care, deep conditioning and continuing to forego any other chemical treatments will be enough to maintain the hair that’s left on my head.

Posted by CC | January 8, 2014, 7:11 am
  5. DO NOT EVER…EVER USE BIGEN ( ANY # ). There is nothing “natural” about it. I have been using it for sometime without any problem but this last time ,it got left longer before I could wash it off. I developed a bad rash around my left ear,neck & throat. Itching…. itching and itching…The lobe and whole left year (externally) is swollen & hurts. I did not know what was causing and did not even think about the Bigen dye but at my son’s suggestion and being Saturday, went to a ” Minute clinic”.The nurse practitioner asked if i had dyed my hair.Lo and behold… I realised that I had just dyed them with Bigen 4 days ago. There was a small black spot..(dye) on my neck, below the ear that somehow did not get washed when I shampooed my hair and had caused all the problem as most probably it got absorbed in the skin and caused all the weird symptoms. I am prescribed with steroidal cream to put on my rashes and Claritin (OTC) for itching :( !! I hope it will all go away without having any long term ill effects. I was fortunate that it did not cause more harm & damage ,like so many others suffer.This product should be removed immediately from the market.

Posted by K. | December 8, 2013, 2:20 am
  6. I used Bigen powder, those small tiny bottles. Confirm adverse reaction, such as itchy scalp, burning sensation. That was 3 years ago! Moved to Bigen Men Hair Color – paste/gel like product. No reaction, no allergy. Feel much better.

Posted by Carl | October 1, 2013, 9:15 pm
  7. I used bigen and my head and neck swollen and my scalp was full of pulse I went to the E.R. they gave me some benadryl and shot

Posted by Kelly Love | September 14, 2013, 7:23 am
  8. HI,MY NAME IS CHASITY BANKS. I USED BIGEN AND NOW MY FACE AND EARS ARE SWOLLEN MY HEAD IS ALSO OOZING .IM ABOUT TO GO TO THE ER TO SEE IF THEY CAN HELP ME. IF U HAVE ANY INFORMATION THAT CAN HELP ME PLEASE EMAIL ME AT CHASITYBANKS33@GMAIL.COM. THANK YOU

Posted by Shunda Gennelle (@ShundaGennelle) | August 18, 2013, 3:11 pm
  9. PPD is in 99% of all hair dye, unless it’s specifies that it is PPD-free. All hair coloring products suggest doing a skin patch test before application, to be sure that the client is not allergic to the product. I’m not sure why Bigen is specifically being targeted for person injury suits, when all PPD prodcucts will cause the same problem to a person with the allergy. You’re more likely to have an allergy if you’re also allergic to PABA in sunscreen and Sulfa medications.

Posted by Jenna | June 28, 2013, 2:47 pm
  10. I USED THIS PRODUCT ON MY MOTHER WHO IS DISABLED AS A TREAT AFTER THE INITIAL SKIN PATCH TEST ON THE 18TH MARCH 2013. I REALLY WISH I HAD NOT SET EYES ON THIS PRODUCT FOR IT IS NOW THE 15TH APRIL 2013 AND MY POOR LITTLE MOTHER IS IN SOOOO MUCH PAIN, AGONY AND IS SOOOO UPSET WITH THE SWELLING OF HER FACE, THE REDNESS WHICH MAKES IT LOOK AND FEEL LIKE SHE HAS BEEN BURNT, THE CONSTANT ITCHINESS WHICH IS SOOO SEVERE ALL OVER HER FACE, HEAD, THEN NECK AND NOW BODY. SHE HAS BEEN TO THE G.P TWICE, TO ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY AND YET THIS IS CAUSING SOO MUCH DISTRESS TO HER MENTAL STATE AS WELL AS ME HER DAUGHTER FOR USING WE ARE IN THE U.K AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY THIS PRODUCT IS STILL ON SALE? AND WHO TO GET IN TOUCH WITH REGARDIING THIS AWFUL ONGOING EXPERIENCE.

Posted by Mrs Rumy Cumming | April 15, 2013, 2:17 pm
    • My wife is allergic to hair dye and was told by a hair dresser this was safe as it was all natuaral. The vain wife let her put it on to dye her hair black. 3 days later she was in A&E and spent 6 hrs in Resus. A total of 7 days in Hospital. 7 weeks on and her scalp & ears are still weeping and her whole body is covered in very itchy blisters. Constant trips to the Dr. I have contact Bigen who say she must be allergic to one of the ingredients. There so clever at Bigen…. I too do not understand why this is still on sale in the Uk. I have written to Trading Standards as PPD is not allowed in powdered Henna for Tattoos so why should it be allowed in Hair Dyes

Posted by Mal | May 8, 2013, 2:47 pm
      • Mal. It is unfortunate that your wife has experienced this issue. It is a big secret in the hair industry that really needs to be challenged. A lot of body products have ingredients that are harmful, but are not properly vetted by government agencies. I hope your wife gets well very soon.

Posted by seventysixes | May 8, 2013, 5:44 pm
    • Mrs. Cumming. Unfortunately, too many products are like this. However, in the hair industry, products are overlooked, especially those that are from other countries and do not go under the scrutiny that it needs. A while back there were tons of reports of products from China that had huge amounts of waste. However, there is an article today of one of Johnson and Johnson’s plants being halted in production due to the high amounts of mercury found in its body and hair productions. If I find out any information I will be sure to post.

Posted by seventysixes | May 8, 2013, 5:46 pm
  11. The Charles Boyk Law Office is handling individual Bigen cases filed against the manufacturer, so if you have been injured because of a Bigen product, it is not too late for you. You can call them at 800.637.8170 or check them out here: http://www.charlesboyk-law.com/library/bigen-hair-color-injuries.cfm

Posted by Emmy | March 5, 2013, 8:31 pm
  12. You should contact Attorney Stephen Fowler at (404) 574-2205 or stephen@fowlerfirmlaw.com. I believe that he is taking on these types of cases.

Posted by Vel | February 25, 2013, 3:11 am
  13. I assume it’s too late for him to get in on the class action lawsuit?

Posted by Benjamin | January 27, 2013, 2:11 am
  14. hi I am so surprised at these statements, I am 46 year old male of Indian/Arab decent, and have been using #59 on my head mustache and beard for over 2 years now and no issues at all, I have even recommended it to my blck and white friends here (in Barbados) and no issues with them also.
    I am just wondering,if its made for a specific hair type,,or how you guys mix it. sorry just my thoughts. thanks.

Posted by Muhammad H. | January 25, 2013, 7:12 am
    • Hi Muhammad. Thanks for you comments. Bigen Hair Dye has various reactions on different people. Some people are more sensitive to the ingredients than others. But I must emphasize that it still contains caustic components that can affect you immediately or down the line. I worked with Bigen for well over 10 years and have seen what it can do. Trust me, there are better alternatives that I suggest that you try out.

Posted by seventysixes | January 27, 2013, 2:06 am
  15. I found this article after my uncle developed a serious infection due to Beijing hair dye & spent much of his trip to the Presidential Inauguration, in the Emergency Room on Sunday, then again, today on Monday.

Posted by Benjamin | January 23, 2013, 1:36 am
  16. hi my name is Joshua I had allergic reaction to Beijing please call at 240 988 3880 I need to know how to wash it out thanks god bless

Posted by Joshua | November 28, 2012, 10:09 am
  17. What dye is all natural? And where can I purchase it?

Posted by Yolanda | August 19, 2012, 4:17 pm
    • Hello everyone, I just recentlly used the product again, I had use bigen several times have pictures to show, I always were exotic hairstyles. Recently I used the product and wow, my family didnt even recognize me. It first started with itching, then the next day my head blew up like an alien, then my eyes and face swell till I couldnt see. I contacted bigen explain to them what happen, and they responded. I had to go to emergency twice in a row, put in mind this happen on the 23rd of August and I’m still itching horribly all over my body and head. I can’t sleep because of the itching. I had to wear glasses and a hat to hide my face at school I’m on steroid and antibiotics they are not working. Now I have to get appointment at dermatologist. Who would of thought after using a product over ten times and doing a 24 to 48 hr test would of had me looking like a real live halloween monster. I really do hate you all had to experience this or a love one, but hey do what you need to do. Contact them

Posted by Roz | September 8, 2012, 5:25 pm
      • I recently used Bigen on my head. I woke up this morning looking like an Alien. My head is so swollen and heavy that I can’t lay down on my pillow. It has swollen around my temples on both sides of my head. I don’t have any medical Insurace. I been taking medicines for allergic reactions but I’ve seen no results. This is the worst experience I have ever had. What do I need to do my head feels and looks like a Beach Ball.

Posted by Suave | October 12, 2012, 12:16 pm
      • you need to go to emergency, they will probably put you on either on IV of pregnizone or in a pill form of pregnizone. best of luck to you.. you can potentially die from suffocating if the swelling moves down into your throat area. consult a physician immediately!

Posted by John Smith | January 12, 2013, 6:20 pm
  18. how soon after a bigen can i use a pure henna on my natural hair, this dryness is driving me crazy

Posted by wanda | August 11, 2012, 8:11 pm
  19. I went to my barbr and had my cut to get a shape up and a henna he brought in a bigen now my hair is very dry. I now want a real henna and will do it myself can I purchase a pure henna at a store

Posted by wanda | August 11, 2012, 8:06 pm
  20. I have pics of my son after a horrible allergic reaction to this hair dye. face is all swollen. It’s horrible. Scalp is severely dry, itching and very, very tender

Posted by Nedra Haymon | August 6, 2012, 9:18 pm
    • Contact the hoyu Group the makers of the product and keep all hospital records. Make sure you tell them you applied a patch test to the back of ear or on the bend in your arm as a patch test for 24 – 48 hrs.. if not they will not honor your claim..

Posted by Corey | August 7, 2012, 2:38 pm
    • I had the same reaction. My entire face, and tongue was swollen. Both of my eyes were also swollen shut. Some of my hair actually fell out and I also deveolped a really bad skin rash as well. All this from this hair dye. Would it be possible to see any pics. Or could you point me in the direction of a site that contains any pics so that I can pass this information along, before there is another victim of this product

Posted by Amanda Harris | August 8, 2012, 6:29 pm
      • Had same reaction. Just left ER its terrible .Something wrong and I’m calling the makers of bigen ASAP !!!!

Posted by Cal | August 14, 2012, 2:27 am
      • The reaction that we have experienced is from the oxidizing agent in the chemical when it is mixed. The oxidizer is sensetizing your skin on intial contact and doesnt let you know you are allergic until you have used the product several times. This is very misleading and people tend to re-use the product thinking that they did not have an allergic reaction. Keep all doctors visits paper work, time missed from work, perscription reciepts, and packaging from the product if possible. Hope you did a patch test on bend in arm or behind ear and not to mention leaving it on for 24-48hrs. That’s important information for them to know once you file a claim. Have your ducks in a row!!

Posted by Corey Bounds | August 14, 2012, 7:46 pm
    • Wow. These stories are quite disturbing! My fiance just informed that he used this product on his beard at a barbershop and now is having an allergic reaction to this dye. He sent me pictures of his face and he looks like “Mr. Potato Head”. This dye is has burned his skin and it itches beyond like crazy as he says. Since he is a truck driver I informed him to seek emergency treatment immediately and to keep all of his paperwork.

Posted by Fonda | August 16, 2012, 7:08 pm
    • What did they do for your son, to stop the itching?

Posted by Roz | September 8, 2012, 5:26 pm
  21. This is the first I have ever heard about a reaction to Bigen hair-dye. I have used it on my family members hair and my hair for years and never had a bad reaction. I have applied it to our hair after relaxing our hair and never had this type of reaction. Are you sure you are using it correctly? Are you adding enough water to the mixture? Sometime I add more water to make it stretch because it does not take that much to dye your hair with it. But I would never use it on any other body part besides my hair on top of my head. Using on the beard is not a good idea because your face it much more sensitive then your scalp is. I didn’t even realize guys were using this for product on your beards and mustache. This product is usually used on older women’s hair that has gray that is hard to dye. This is the only product that will maintain it’s color after several washes. Also I only apply it every 6 weeks and I wash it out with shampoo at least 2 twice before putting conditioner on my hair. Sorry but my mother, grandmother, nor myself has never had a problem with it. But I’m glad I read this article because I did not know about PPD a being a caustic chemical that was band in other countries because of cancer risk. Because of this I will not continue to use this product. But if I knew my husband or son was using this product like this I would have told them not to. The product plainly says do not use on eyebrows or eyelashes, so why would you use it on your beard?

Posted by Peaches | July 9, 2012, 1:51 am
    • Hi Peaches. First, I would recommend that you consider using another, less toxic, more natural dying product. Bigen is a cheap, extremely toxic hair dye that is heavily promoted in working class and communities of color. As it is known, black dyes have a lot of caustic chemicals in them anyway. Though the Cancer Institute says the research has been conflicting, there is yet to prove that this form of dye; especially in long term use is safe. Here is a video that also shows what a researches says, though she does not go into detail. http://www.hivvids.com/19917/Empowher_Askso_hair_dyes_contrib.html.

What is agreed upon is that long-term use, frequent exposure, or leaving dye in hair for longer than recommended increases health risks. As well, they have been linked to a lot of degenerative diseasues.

Nevertheless, my sister-in-law is a doctor and she witnessed first hand what long-term chemicals do to the brain. They simply eat away at the tissue matter of the brain. This is not a debate this is fact. But if the product damages beards and eyelashes, certainly it does this to the scalp. Remember, the scalp is skin and skin is the most porous organ on our body.

People have been asking me what is the alternative and I totally recommend an ORGANIC ALL OR MOSTLY PLANT BASED HENNA.

Posted by seventysixes | July 13, 2012, 4:14 pm
  22. my barber has applied Bigen #59 in my head several times in the past. Thursday, June 21, 2012 it was applied and around 6 hours later I started having a reaction to it, I took a benadryl and the itching subsided. Yesterday when I woke up my head was So dry and felt like my head was crusty, I immediately washed my hair. After drying my head next thing I know I had this clear liquid oozing on certain spots on my head, I went to the doctor and I am taking prednisone and cephalexin for the infection, I will never use this product again. Now since the spots in my head has stopped oozing, it’s dry crusty substance, should I attempt to wash my hair or no? my head is so sensitive that I tossed and turned last night hopefully it gets better soon.

Posted by carlos | June 23, 2012, 11:15 am
    • I’m in the same boat, my head was leaking, and I could scratch scabs of my scalp, the antibiotics is not working for me, I cant sleep, I dont no what to do but go to a dermatologist. It’s outrageous to go through this mess. When you wash your hair dont use hot water use kinda cold. No fragrance shampoo just plain water because the scented kind may be reactivating, and causing you to continue to itch, thats what I’m doing till I can go back to doctor. My whole body itches, so I’m in terrible shape. I use to get my hair done all the time, now I have to wear it without a cut. Its embarassing

Posted by Roz | September 8, 2012, 5:34 pm
  23. Never again will i use it my whole beard was oozing with puss and blood my head and face swolle up and was burnt

Posted by Glenn | June 16, 2012, 3:48 pm
    • Just curious to what will OR the payouts are for the Bigen lawsuits?

Posted by Paish | July 13, 2012, 2:43 am
      • Hi Paish. I don’t know what the payout or results were for the lawsuit. Dealing with corporations can be exhausting and often unsuccessful in American litigation. It frequently comes down to who can pay for the big guns, and who can last the longest. But please be aware of the issues of Bigen I have seen first hand.

Posted by seventysixes | July 13, 2012, 4:15 pm
  24. WOW….these are some amazing stories re: this product. I have been using Bigen for a few months now and really liked the look. I had had NO adverse affects of the product until jus this past Monday 14 May 1012. That night I started to experience the lesions on my scalp. On the following day I returned to the Salon and s swollen. Ishowed the operator what had happened, thinking perhaps she hadn’t shampooed well enough. The following day I noticed slight swelling to my right eye and face. By Wednesday, the swelling had slightly increased and I went to Urgent Care as advised by my Mom’s nurse. They administered 1 dose of Benadryl and sent me on my way. That afternoon I took a nap and upon awakening found that my face was more dramatically swollen. I went to work anyway, but by Thursday morning it was all I could do to drive to my residence. The right side of my face and eye were so swollen that I could not see from my right eye. They prescribed predniSONE and PEPCID. The oozing sores in my head have cleared up, but there is still quite a bit of swelling to my face and neck. And, I can now open my eye.

I do want to pursue this futher, something needs to be done about this product. Whoever has a link or the Attorney info that is willing to go against the FDA please Email me…Emax1762@aol.com. I’m hoping someone will take up this cause. I have taken pictures and have ER paperwork to declare my proof of care.

PLEASE, PLEASE advise.

Thanks, Eric

Posted by Eric Lomax | May 19, 2012, 6:47 am
    • I used it for years and it would always itch but nothing really happened..,, then in 2010 I used it and my ears, neck, and scalp was oozing bloody pus… My eyes swelled and I was in pain…… Never never ever ever will I use it again :(

Posted by Sonya | June 9, 2012, 9:19 pm
  25. MVP, email just sent to you. I have the same problems, used it 72 hrs ago. on pregnizone now as of yesterday, almost 24 hrs have gone by. the swelling to my face has at least not gotten worse, but it hasnt decreased yet.

Posted by Med Tank | May 16, 2012, 5:35 pm
  26. I’m currently fighting the Hoyu Group now over a claim I had 2 years ago. They are telling me my claim isnt valid because claims are only good for 1 year. I say to people if you have had an allergic reaction before you claim it get your ducks in a row. Follow all instructions stated on box because a reaction like this is not very nice to you and a ER visit is more then likley.

Funny thing is I used this product in 2008 and had no reaction. Put it on beard, goatee, mustache, and head – no reaction. About a year later I applied product just too my mustache and goatee and it about took my whole mouth off or at least it felt like it. Neck swole, lip protruding past my nose, eyes swollen, chin could not be found… Im telling you it was the worst thing that I have ever experienced. Another funni thing is I liked it so much the first time I blamed my self and my barber for not putting it in the correct way so I used it again.. I say take this product off the market to risky and the pain and suffering is not worth the Hoyu Group to tell you it was put in wrong! The Hoyu Group will read you back the instructions and false your claim, you just have to live with these awful chemicals in your body forever I guess.. No one cares about the customer.. They have many loop holes written for their protection and backed by the FDA even if you have been hospitalized… Where’s the justice!!

Posted by Corey L. Bounds | April 2, 2012, 8:24 pm
  27. I used bigen hair color dye and it literally ate my hair out. My head was swollen and i had ozzing sores on my head. i contacted the fda and filed a complaint and now have an attorney.

Posted by j | March 25, 2012, 7:18 pm
    • HTS Sacramento,

We are sorry to hear about your misfortune and hope that you are completely healed. Please do not use anything until you are okay’ed by a medical specialist. We are glad that you have sought an attorney and hope that you win. Please note that a number of beauty care products are not FDA approved so that can be very tricky in knowing if the products are safe and contacting an actual person who can explain the ingredients.

Secondly, we know that your action will help us all become better at being an advocate for products that are safe and beneficial to us from head to toe.

Good luck,
      Seventy Sixes

Posted by seventysixes | March 25, 2012, 10:16 pm
    • My son used the product and the same thing happened to him. My question is did your head return to normal or are you still experiancing the same problems.

Posted by D | May 14, 2012, 5:23 pm
      • D. There is a 7-10 week healing process depending on the damage. Im now in my 9th week of healing and my lip has just stopped itching. On occasion it still itches something fiercesome and I just put Neosporin on it. Its a bad reaction to take care of and to heal. Id call the Hoyu Group the makers of the product and file a complaint. You have had a reaction to the oxidation and over sensitized your skin. Its common with this type hair dye. If you havent gone to hospital do so because it could help your case!

Posted by Corey | May 14, 2012, 8:43 pm
  28. I ran across your posting here as I was searching for a hair dye to use on my ever graying beard. Bigen was recommended to me by two friends on two separate occasions but I’m thankful that I read this prior to purchasing it. For the past two or three years. I’ve been using the Just for Men- Mustache and Beard Jet Black product on my beard and for the first two years it looked great and I had absolutely no problems with it. Now in the past 6 months or so, when I apply this same dye, maybe an hour or so later I get this horrible burning and ferocious itching sensation that just makes you want to plaster on some moisturizer or something wet. It continuously itches for about the next three to five days and the scratching causes scabs which eventually render the product ineffective anyway. Can you suggest to me a product which I can use to still have a nice, black beard without going through this living hell even if I could achieve a nice salt and pepper look would be great???

Posted by Sedric | March 11, 2012, 10:56 am
    • Good Afternoon Curtis,

We are totally sorry about your experience. As you get older, we become more sensitive to chemicals. We recommend that you use Surya Brasil Henna. It is a plant based natural dye that does not burn. We use it all the time on our clients. It sells like hotcakes. We can send you some too if you need it. Good luck.

Seventy Sixes

Posted by seventysixes | March 25, 2012, 10:10 pm
  29. I just used Bigen # 59 about a week and a half ago, I got big hurting knots behind my ears, my neck is full of swollen red welts. Not to mention my head itches so bad and when I scratched I developed sores. I found out that the main ingredient is used in industrial dyes, and is known to cause cancer.. All of this is still happening. I am on steroids betamethasone :(

Posted by Maya | February 22, 2012, 9:03 am
    • Maya, I am so sorry that this happened to you. There is a law firm in this blog that directs you to an attorney that can help if you are interested in pursuing legal action. Good luck. I suggest using Brasil Surya henna coloring next time.

Posted by seventysixes | February 22, 2012, 3:57 pm
  30. I am being told that i need Urgent Care,i used Bigen(59) 1/14/2012 and today is 1/17/2012
    i look like a Monster,my face is swollen,my head and eye lids are swollen.
    I am makinf Arrangements to go to the emergency room after i take some pictures.
    I also have my RECEIPT OF SALE.
    calvin jones

Posted by calvin jones | January 17, 2012, 10:04 pm
    • I used bigen Friday 02/04/2012 and the next morning my head was swollen. I had to go to emergency cause my forehead was swollen and had sticky stuff oozing out my scalp. On antibiotics now hoping it will go down soon so I can go to work.

Posted by Frank Andrews | February 6, 2012, 2:35 pm
      • Frank, I am glad that you are sharing this information about Bigen. The ingredients can have disastrous effects, as claimed by users, including my wife. She used alternative herbal methods to detox. That is something to consider as well because the ingredients are in your bloodstream because it got into your pores. There is a law firm in this blog that directs you to an attorney that can help if you are interested in pursuing legal action. Good luck. I suggest using Brasil Surya henna coloring next time.

Posted by seventysixes | February 22, 2012, 3:59 pm
    • There is a law firm in this blog that directs you to an attorney that can help if you are interested in pursuing legal action. Good luck. I suggest using Brasil Surya henna coloring next time.

Posted by seventysixes | February 22, 2012, 3:59 pm
      • I don’t see the blog with the lawyer’s info included…….please share with me my email: marquitap4@gmail.com My husband used this product and he looked like frankinstein. I was scarred of him. i rushed him to the er where they immediately gave him steroids intraveiniously as well as other meds. He had oozing sores on his scalp and it was just a horrific experience. We want to hire a lawyer asap! Thanks!

Posted by MVP | May 15, 2012, 1:55 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Bigen Hair Dye Revisited: Find Healthier Options | SeventySixes - March 11, 2014

2. Pingback: Good Hair Magazine | Women Wear Weave and Men Rock Beijing - July 29, 2013